FULL-TIME MUSIC TEACHER AND/OR HEAD OF MUSIC PERFORMANCE
Effective From: October 2023/January 2024 or by mutual agreement
St John’s D.S.G., established in 1897 by the Society of St John the Divine, is situated in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal. It is a leading Anglican, independent, day and boarding school for 570 girls (Grades RR – 12), and is a member of the Independent Schools’ Association of Southern Africa. St John’s D.S.G. has a strong community ethos that gives it a distinct character.
The successful applicant will be an effective and proficient musician who has a proven and successful track record in this field, who will uphold the ethos and professional standards of excellence at the school.
The successful applicant should:
- Have a minimum of a BMus (or equivalent university qualification) and/or teaching licentiate in their main instrument and be able to teach individual music lessons.
- Be proficient in designing and leading a marimba and orchestra programme and be able to arrange music for these performance groups.
- Have experience or an interest in teaching the fundamentals of music production in the Senior School.
- Teach creatively, interact with children of all ages and be able to integrate the use of technology as a learning tool in the classroom.
- Be a self-motivated person of integrity and enthusiasm, with strong leadership, interpersonal, administrative and 21st Century teaching skills.
- Be willing and able to work flexible hours, including weekends.
- Be able to function independently and as part of a team.
- Have good communication skills and ability to liaise and communicate with parents, and administrative and academic staff. A comprehensive understanding of English grammar for report documents and letters to parents is a requirement.
- Have evidence of clearance with the Child Protection Act and Sexual Offences Register before assuming the position.
- Be prepared to commit to upholding the core values and Christian ethos of the school.
Further, favourable consideration would be given to a candidate who:
It would be advantageous if the applicant has experience teaching Class Music in the Junior School and/or Subject Music in the Senior School.
The salary will be negotiated during the selection process. No indication of the salary can be given telephonically.
How To Apply:
An application form must be completed to be considered for the position. It may be downloaded by clicking the YELLOW BUTTON below.
Once completed, the application form, a covering letter addressed to the Principal, and the other requested documents must be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that only emailed applications will be accepted.
St John’s D.S.G. reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of this post. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or an appointment. Applicants who do not meet the requirements of the advertised post and who do not apply using the format above will automatically be disqualified from consideration. Applicants who have not been contacted by the end of October, should take it that his/her application has not been successful.
Closing Date: 13h00 on Tuesday, 18 April 2023
St John’s D.S.G., in line with POPIA (Protection of Personal Information Act) will attempt to ensure the confidentiality of all applicants for this role. All reasonable measures will be in place to protect personal information but will be used in the recruitment, selection, and reporting process. By submitting your application for this position, you are recognising and accepting this disclaimer.APPLICATION FORM (PDF)