If you’re missing the delicious food that comes out of our St John’s D.S.G. kitchen (no offence, Mom!), then you’re in luck: our wonderful Catering Team will be sharing some of their most-loved recipes with you all! Today’s recipe is delicious, perfect for supper on a chilly Autumn evening and is one of the St John’s D.S.G. kitchen’s most sought-after recipes. It is, of course:
Mr Mkhize’s Famous Potato & Chickpea Curry
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large diced onion
- 2 large crushed garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp All Spice powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 tsp freshly thyme leaves
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 2 tins of drained chickpeas
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth/stock
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley or coriander if you’re a fan
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the dry ingredients, along with the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the potatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes. If the spices start to stick to the bottom of the pot, add a tiny splash of water.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and vegetable or chicken broth. Bring to simmer then turn down the heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Adjust salt to taste, stir through scallions/shallots and parsley.
- Serve with your choice of roti, rice or couscous